Friday, 14 January 2011

Harpy

Something that started out as just a quick warm up and grew in to this. It's a rather weird drawing, not because of what it is, but because of how I drew it. I sketched it very quickly, and didn't allow myself to become attached to anything in particular. In essence, I forced myself to stop being such a perfectionist with everything that I do.

So yup, as the title says, she's a harpy. I've been wanting to do flying creature designs for quite a while now, and didn't plan to draw this. So I was quite pleased with how this turned out.
Harpy's would be a highly intelligent and curious creature. Despite their initial appearance, they wouldn't be a completely malicious and would be quite easy to reason with. They would live in small groups, and fights would be quick and easy to break out amongst members. The older individuals would be covered in scars from such fights, which can be quite brutal.
The harpy illustrated below would be middle aged, and quite low ranking due to the amount of damage her body has suffered over the years from more dominant females.

Their plumage varies in a range of colours from blue to red, with the more dominant members of a group having a wider range and brighter colours.



Very strong fliers, harpy's would be omnivores that would quite happily ambush medium sized prey in groups, or scavenge carrion, fruit and foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment