Thursday, 6 January 2011

Background for the Centaurs

Just thought I'd post my progress so far on my centaur piece. For once I'm having more fun working on the background than the characters/creatures. I'm going to have stop myself from working on the bg now though otherwise I'll never get the actual centaurs done.
I had drawn and started to paint them once, but they really don't fit with the image, so I think it's going to be a case of completely planning them out. Although before I start on them I think I'll do the backgrounds for all my other pieces whilst I'm having fun with them. I usually struggle with putting character's in environments so I may as well take advantage of my current enthusiasm for them.

Really rough sketch that I started with (this is actually a really old piece which I had thrown to one side thinking I'd never use again. Good job I kept it).



And what I believe to be the final version of the background for this piece.



Whilst I'm at it I thought I'd throw in what the centaurs were going to look like, thus being able to explain better why I believe they don't fit. As you can see, they're just "there". I want them to interact more with their environment and make it clearer as to what they are actually doing (hunting). As I said before, I'm going to come back to these guys later on. Partially because I work quicker on creatures than on backgrounds, and mainly because I'm getting way too frustrated with them.



And finally, last picture, I promise. I just thought it would be nice to show the tones and values in the image. I'm usually quite fearful with using bolder shades, shadows and highlights, but I think I'm getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment